Thursday 1 March 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent


Homemade Laundry Detergent

This post, by far, has me the most excited. I LOVE to save money. Some might even call be cheap, but in honesty it pains me to pay full price for things or continue to throw money away after my eyes have been opened to money saving ways.  I've seen tons of posts for homemade laundry detergent and I won't lie, I was very sceptical.  After doing the math, I couldn't help but try it out. It's Cheap, really cheap, simple and completely safe for HE machine use, with promises for great results.  So why not!!!
Let me start with the Math. (seal clap)  
This Fabulous Laundry detergent Costs $2.28 to make each recipe batch.  
Each recipe makes 3 gallons of Laundry Detergent. 
3 gallons of detergent is equivalent to 96 loads.  
So that works out to $0.02 per load ……..2 cents….. give that second to sink in.  
2 CENTS a load. Madness!!!  

<----- And for reference I typically use this.  which works out to $0.13 a load.  

Ok now that I've got you excited let's make some laundry detergent!








Laundry Detergent

1 bar Fels Naptha soap (you can use any other bar soap you want but this tends to work the best.  
And if using other bar soap - use 2 bars)
1-1/2 Borax
1-1/2 cups Arm and Hammer WASHING SODA - not baking soda
3 gallons of water   

Grate bar of soap


Throw grated bits into a LARGE stock pot and cover with 1 gallon of HOT water.  Heat on low until soap is fully dissolved.

Add another gallon of HOT water along with the washing soda and borax.  Mix well and bring to a boil. (this was the toughest part…. patience is highly overrated)

Add last gallon of COLD water and stir well.  Let cool Do Not Panic! Mixture will coagulate and become VERY thick.  If your mixture is too thick….add some more hot water to thin it out. Using a funnel pour into your containers. (I used Milk jugs for easy storage and pouring)  








Now your Detergent can be used immediately.  Use 1/2 cup per load or 1 cup for extremely dirty super capacity loads.  Just give it a good shake before use.

Do not be discouraged when it doesn't bubble (suds) in the machine, it won't.  It took me a while to wrap my head around it too….but bubbles do not equal clean.    This cleans wonderfully.  

Pair it with this Fabric Softener and you have a whole new Laundry Arsenal

Happy Pinning! 

4 comments:

  1. I appreciate your efforts! But a gentle note that arm and hammer is well known to test on animals. This product is not cruelty free and is therefor not vegan:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your awareness, but this recipe never laid claim to being Vegan.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Oopss. my bad. Someone re-posted with the intent on switching up a couple ingredients to make this a cruelty free recipe:)

    ReplyDelete